Friday, 27 June 2014

WHAT I DID BEFORE BECOMING A MUM

I did many jobs before becoming a mum. My first job was working in a dairy shop and it didn't work out I wasn't there for long and at the time it was part of the New Zealand Employment Service now known as Work and Income New Zealand.

In my early 20s I was a Teacher Aide another part of NZES where I was paid my benefit and topped up $20 from the school. I LOVED BEING A TEACHER AIDE but my heart was stronger and I left being a Teacher Aide for the man I fell in love with now my hubby.

I found work as a Home Carer just helped a Client with their housework mainly and the one-on-one social relationship is what I enjoyed most.

A year later me and fiancé (now my hubby) moved towns and we both ended up working at Talleys, he did forklift driving and I was on the production line during corn season which lasted 10 weeks, I stopped eating corn at this time seeing it 6 days a week made me sick to my stomach. While me and hubby were at Talleys I worked day shift and he worked arvo shift which meant hubby would drive me to work with my bike, I would bike home from work (10km) get home and hubby would have already left to start arvo shift, he would come home late when I was going to bed so not much time spent together and after the corn season finished so did I. Hubby continued working there many years later.

I became a NZ Post Postie delivering mail and 'cause I LOVED CYCLING (Still do) delivering the mail was my favourite part except for rainy windy weather those days sucked to be out. I did it for a year then left since my health really suffered in winter and I got flu often being out and about delivering mail in god awful weather, my immune system too weak and took ages to recover from flu relapses.

I went back to Home Care and studied to achieve the National Certificate in Support of the Older Person which allowed me to do personal care as well as home management, I mainly dealt with independent clients that did shower themselves just needed me there in case they fell.
I left Home Care work at 18 weeks pregnant with first child and me and hubby left town to move to Christchurch to stay with Mum till we found a place of our own.

In Christchurch I applied for Home Care work but you needed to drive and I didn't so I stopped working during the rest of pregnancy.

After 8 years being a stay-at-home mum just volunteered as parent help at my sons school I finally got work delivering newspapers twice a week, have been doing this for 9 months now and recently have another delivery job for Homecare catalogues dropping off and picking up.

ANY OF YOU MUMS OUT THERE WANT TO SHARE WHAT YOU DID BEFORE BECOMING A MUM?

No comments:

Post a Comment