Thursday, 4 September 2014

LICE

That's right not a subject any of us Mum's want to hear but LICE is common especially in schools and after being at a PTA meeting with public health nurse I found out some very useful information to pass on, sorry I'm only talking about Canterbury, got no knowledge of anywhere else.

The main problem with lice is when children have it there's always one parent/caregiver who doesn't treat their child and despite all our best efforts the one untreated child remains a problem for our kids to become re-infected and our FRUSTRATION BEGINS. I found out at the PTA meeting that you can get treatment free of charge through your GP (you still have to pay for consultation). If you need serious help you can contact the public nurse through Canterbury District Health Board she will arrange an appointment to see you in person.

Ways to PREVENT LICE from spreading is to do LOTS OF BRUSHING/COMBING EVERYDAY, this helps to hurt any lice present and actually break their body parts so they can't lay any eggs (yes it's gross hearing about this but better to know how to break the lice cycle)

My personal experience with lice on my two sons was so bad. At the start I bought treatments from chemist and they were awful to use, smelled so bad and painful too, I really felt for my sons especially since the treatment had to be repeated a week later. One infestation my two sons had to stay at home during school holidays (this was at another school not the one they are at now) just to get rid of their lice and sure enough they went back to school lice free only to be re-infected.
Over time I became FED UP finally I saw a  remedy on Facebook and it's a blessing 'cause it not only removes lice it removes their eggs too.

Lice Treatment

Mix equal parts Apple Cider Vinegar and Coconut Oil, use as shampoo in shower on child's hair, while Apple Cider Vinegar and Coconut Oil mixture is in hair be sure to comb it too (use a lice comb available at Chemist) then rinse afterwards. Best thing is no need to reapply it kills everything. Then comb afterwards.

To know how it felt I did it and it's not painful and doesn't smell bad either and it makes hair shiny too.

Since I did this Lice treatment last Easter April 2014 my sons haven't had any lice even when it was going around their school, that's how FANTASTIC this simple treatment is.

More things I learned at PTA  Lice meeting was you only treat the person with lice not everyone else and not all bedding needs to be washed or vacuumed  just things that come in contact with your head need washing. It's important to teach your child NOT TO SHARE HATS or anything that comes in contact with their head too e.g. bike helmets, dress up hats, school regulation hats, I've had to tell my sons not to share their hats knowing how kind they are thinking of others who don't have their hat, its not mean to protect my sons from lice and it teaches their friends to have their own hat too.

At the start of PTA meeting the public nurse said how years ago they used to come into schools and treat children's hair for lice, but they only had 15 minutes with each child and that isn't enough time to properly treat it especially when most treatments need to be reapplied the following week. So that's why they don't do public health treatments for lice in schools anymore.

More information available Public Health Nursing Service

I REALLY HOPE THIS POST IS HELPFUL AND ENDS YOUR FRUSTRATION DEALING WITH LICE :)

No comments:

Post a Comment